There is not everything we need in our homes for any repair work, so the natural choice is hardware or home based. What's the first step:
1) Go to a store that will really help you choose, so first you get the right product to save your gas and frustration. Albert Einstein said, "Everyone is ignorant, only on a variety of topics." Someone who has just lost a husband does not know how to repair an faucet or a refinish cabinet, so help is important because the directions of the packages are not always right or easy to read.
2) If you are painting a room or anything, make a sample of the paint you want to fit the machine. Take a toner from a place in the room that does not appear unless there is a toner cartridge with the desired color. You can also bring a sample buyer a magazine with you to show the sales you want. But make sure the sample is large enough to fit the machine. Remember that the amount or lack of light will affect how the color looks in your environment.
3) If painting is what you are doing, then show the desired image or image of the desired color stain. Usually there is a patch pattern in the store, but if you have any doubts, first take the sample with you.
4) The plumbing and hardware need some sample, especially when it comes to older homes, because codes and people instead of changing the right solution instead. Views may deceive you when dealing with threads like metric and standard, and their variants. Copper tubes and flare fittings will deceive you if you just look at them unless they are using these types of products.
5) Household items may have difficulty in areas such as pressure damping gaskets, coffee bars, etc. When handling the two batteries, the model number is essential and the brand. If you have any doubt, get as much information as you can.  Electric is an area that needs a lot of help because it seems to be some kind of mystery, but if you follow the rules of electrical power, it has come with some help maybe.
If you're in your home, it's hard to remember when you take some details of your home: when you paint, install a new water heater or windows, etc. But if you are a notebook or card file when you do these things, you will know exactly when you are doing these items and when you sell your home, you can only give the new owners notes on what was happening in the house.
You do not have to be afraid of setting things around in your home, but keep your mind open to learning as much as you can. You can do it, but you have to be patient. Keep in mind that others do not record what they are doing and ask questions if you do not understand. When you have to do something, then the information is in your mind. You might want to note, after observing that the person repairs the item and will remember it as time goes by. Do not be difficult for yourself if you fail first, you only strive to do better the next time and you will.